Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Why I hate Detroit - Dedicated to Brian Toti

So, apparently my blog is leaving much to be desired. Thanks for pointing that out, Brian. And now my brother Matt. I recently went to visit my home town - Perrysburg. It was so nice up there. Saturday night I actually froze! I was walking to my car an it was like 50 degrees outside. I miss having the fall weather though, that's for sure. But let me tell you about some things that happened.
I leave sunny Orlando with shining happy people holding hands, and make my way to... dun dun dun... Detroit. Whew. Close your eyes an imagine me with a rolling carry on, a crying baby, her stroller and car seat, and diaper bag. I'm trying to find my way after I get off the plane, and there are NO bathrooms in site.
So I am walking all over the place lugging this stuff around, about to wet myself, and I finally come up to te bathroom. I am now forced to use the handicap stall because of the stroller. I get in there, and someone had pooped on the floor. Yes, poop and yes, I was desperate, and this was my ONLY option.
So after this, I leave to go get yet another suitcase. I get lost on my way to baggage claim. I finally get there, and I guess I wasn't the only one with these problems, because I was the first person there, and God was shining his beautiful face on me, because my bag was the first one on the convey er, and was just happening to be coming down right when I walked up. So that was the easy part.
I make my way over with the stroller, car seat, diaper bag, and 2 rolling suitcases over to the car rental kiosk. Everything seems smooth thus far. Then I call. She says ''ma'am, you need to go upstairs to the ground transportation area". With my mouth, I am saying ok, thank you, but in my heart I'm saying - ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME WOMAN?!?!
So I go back to the elevator, and hit the button that says ground transportation. I get off the elevator, and follow the sign that leads me directly to.... an escalator... to take me downstairs. I'm a little annoyed at this point. Like the escalator is some secret passage you have to take to get to the rental cars. So I ask some random individual standing there innocently, looking like he was just dieing to help a stressed out mom with a million things in her hands. He says "uh, I think you have to go down a floor" Annoyed, I once again had to find the elevator. I go one floor down, parking garage, another floor, parking garage. Finally, one floor down I see the shuttle area that I needed to be at. Coincidentally right behind it I see the baggage claim area that I just came from.
So I get the shuttle, and go to rent my car. She recommends that I get the next size up because of the stroller, which ended up being a fantastic idea, since they rented me a Nissan versa which may have gotten the model design from Steve Urkel. After jamming everything in the car (20 minutes later) I look and notice that my wallet is missing. If you have ever been to Detroit, you know that this is a serious problem. I remembered putting it in Alyssa's car seat since I had so much to carry, and I assumed maybe she's dropped it. So I have to take the baby out, and look over the whole parking lot until I get to the office, and scope that out, praying that I would find it. I asked the security guard if anyone turned it in, and to my suprise, she said no.
I'm freaking out at this point, because it's not like I'm at home, I'm across the country, and would have no way of getting home. The security guard offered to help me look. Again, my steps were traced, and it was no where. She opened the trunk and shook somethings around. It turned out that my jokester of a kid shoved it within the walls of the stroller. That was my experience with Detroit. Maybe next time I will fly into Toledo.
Luckily te rest of the trip was a breeze. I had a great time. I got to spend sometime with my sisters and my friends, and see people that I haven't seen in 12 years. It was really great until I had to go back to Detroit, but that is a whole nother blog.

No comments: